Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Let Go of All You Fear to Lose

I’ve just returned from holding workshops in the States. It is alarming to see the condition of sadness and despair that fills so many communities. The news media only reinforces this negativity by sensationalizing unhappy events associated with the process of change that is happening. This is probably why I was impressed to start doing the “TOOLS FOR TRANSITION” workshops.

One of the greatest things about facilitating workshops is that I get to learn so much; and I had many opportunities to test my beliefs with this one. In the business of preparing and marketing a class (especially at this long distance) it’s easy to lose sight of the positive outcome I want to see from these travels. Deadlines, communication stalls, media coverage promoting tales of terror are all distractions from the intent I have placed on my work. And yet the “work” helps me remember to USE WHAT I TEACH.

This past trip to the Phoenix area was definitely a test of the tools I teach from last minute changes in my meeting room, unedited advertising that offered my class for FREE, flight itineraries that took me to another region of the nation to begin my return with only a half hour between each of the three connections. I found myself thinking that my luggage would never make my final destination with me.

As I realized the negative spiral of my thoughts I immediately stopped. Erasing them, I replaced them with positive images of the outcomes I wanted: harmonious people attending my workshop and my luggage sitting at my feet in Honduras as I waited for my husband to pick me up.

Try this experiment: think of one thing that is making you sad or unhappy and allow yourself to erase the image and replace it with one of the outcome you want. Don’t think about HOW you will get there, just see it completed as you want. In letting go of the fearful image and replacing it with with one of faith, you have made the first step in bringing about change. Now, hold on to the new image.

No comments: