Thursday, March 6, 2008

Following in the Footsteps of the Maya

It never ceases to raise eyebrows when I mention that my husband, Ordin and I have moved to the Central American country of Honduras. Many folks presume it was because of U.S. politics; some believe we were pursuing affordable retirement; while others assume we wanted to reduce distance from our Hawai’i home to family in the States. Though each of these reasons influenced our decision, only a handful of people would appreciate the undefined energies that have drawn me here.

It was around December of 2003 that subtle forces gave-up being subtle and yanked the rug from beneath my feet. I had just returned from a ten day spirit walk with Mayan Elders through ancient ruins in Guatemala and Honduras. The pilgrimage was during the Harmonic Concordance where six planets formed a Grand Sextile. I was told this would create a star gate. Having turned fifty-five that year, it seemed an auspicious time. If a star gate was going to open in a sacred triad of Mayan places, I wanted to be there.

The return home found me questioning what I had gleaned from the experience. Days of riding on overcrowded buses, drenched from torrential rains, and fatigued from keeping pace with a seventy year old Mayan, imparted greater effect on me than any slight influence from the ethers. I teach spiritual principles, but like many people, I still stumble over my own agenda. Dirty laundry and lists of client phone calls demanded my attention, yet the energies that brought me to sit with the Elders were still at work. They needed for me to stay attuned. So, what was the best way to keep me still and listening? A fall and torn a ligament.

Weeks of sitting with my elevated leg gave ample time to appraise the Guatemalan experience, review my journal, and meditate. Flashes of insight visited my mind. One image was a man walking down the driveway to buy our house. Selling the house was an idea we had previously discussed since the market was high, but where would we go? Hawai’i leaves an impression difficult to replace. The Universe seemed to anticipate this hesitation and so a bulldozer arrived to ravage the acre of jungle beside our home. It was our confirmation; it was time to go.

About that time Ordin returned from the weekly Hilo market filled with stories of life in Central America. It had become popular with Europeans and Americans over the last few years. “Humm.” I thought, “The land of stone, where the eagle meets the condor.” I had never considered moving outside the U.S. but it could be worth exploring. We dusted off the office globe and scanned the multicolored shapes to renew our knowledge of C.A. geography. We both loved the warm waters of the Gulf and Caribbean so we focused on countries bordering those waters with easy access to the States. We narrowed it down a bit but how would we choose? As I surfed the net I became vaguely aware that a tune kept whispering to my mind. It seemed faintly familiar but I could not find words for it. As my daily research continued so did the melody until its insistence finally broke through the resistance of distraction. What had seemed like a tune was actually a rhythm. It came from the chant my Hawaiian kupuna had taught me; one that asks for direction from the ancients. And so I gave it voice.
.
From that point there was no singularly profound event that occurred as we completed our steps of relocation, yet there were fascinating synchronicities. Among these we connected with Honduran people in the States and found our dream home with the first search on the internet. Still, I cannot tell you why I am here. Is it earth changes, my Elders, or energies related to the star gate? I do not know. However, I have learned to be more aware when I ask for guidance. When I feel lost and seek direction I walk out the rear gate to the river behind our home. It is a channel that connects the Nombre de Dios Mountains to the Caribbean one block from our house. I call on the Mayan spirits of the four directions and offer them the chant of the old ones; then I wait.

No comments: